SHAH ALAM: THERE is no need for the Malaysian Armed Forces to be involved in the Saudi-led military operations in Yemen, Defence Minister Datuk Seri Hishammuddin Hussein said today.
He said the coalition forces involved in the operations were using “the most sophisticated combat jets and ships” available. Therefore there were no need for MAF’s involvement either with assets or personnel.
Malaysian news agency, Bernama had reported that Saudi Arabia had requested Malaysia to join the military operations in Yemen, designated as Decisive Storm. The operations may well be expanded to the seas surrounding the country following a UN resolution which imposed an arms embargo against the parties involved in the conflict.
Hishammuddin said Malaysia recognised Yemeni president Abed Rabbo Mansour Hadi’s government. It supported the efforts of the international community in maintaining unity and freedom of the Arab country.
“As a member of the UN Security Council, Malaysia supports fully all the resolutions on Yemen,” he added.
Asked whether Malaysia will be involved in a peacekeeping operations in Yemen once hostilities had ended, Hishammuddin said in the context of the humanitarian issues, he hoped what had happened (in Yemen) would not be repeated.
He said he expected that Malaysia’s top leadership shared the same views as him.
As of the moment, Hishammuddin said Malaysia would liaised closely with Saudi Arabia to monitor situation in Yemen especially for humanitarian issues and the evacuation of Malaysian nationals from that country.
The minister who returned from a three day visit to Saudi on Saturday, said it was fortunate that he was a close confidant to the Saudi Deputy Crown Prince, Mohammed Al Nayef and its defence minister, Mohammed Salman.
According to Hishammudin, Armed Forces chief Jen Tan Sri Zulkifeli Zin and Air Force chief Jen Datuk Seri Roslan Said are expected to visit Saudi Arabia among others to discuss the current situation and oversee the possible evacuation of Malaysians that still remained in Yemen.
He said previously, Army Chief Jen Tan Sri Raja Mohammed Affandi Raja Mohammed Noor and the military intelligence had also visited Saudi Arabia.
Two RMAF Hercules remained in the Middle East to assist in any evacuation efforts. Around 130 Malaysians remained in Yemen after they refused to be evacuated from the war torn country. Most of these are private students and their family members.
— Malaysian DefenceIf you like this post, buy me an espresso. Paypal Payment
April 24, 2015 at 8:36 am
No foreign entanglements. No involvement in any armed conflicts that has nothing to do with national security. No sending innocent Malaysians into harms way. Let the Middle East take care of their problem. MAF overseas deployments should be limited to disaster reliefs. UNSC member or not, peacekeeping always beg the question why should Malaysia be cleaning up after other people mess? I know someone has to do it, but does Malaysia has to volunteer? It is not as if Malaysia has plenty of dough to spare… Guess the limited military budget does have its silver lining, it limit MAF deployment to who-knows-where war zones…
April 20, 2015 at 9:22 pm
A relief that administration will keep out MAF from Yemen.
April 20, 2015 at 5:04 pm
It good maf is not going to get involved because its a very complicated war bet factions.but i hope it will open up the eyes of the top notch…that at least maf have to have a fully operation ready battalion at any given time in case our near neighbour seek our help militarily..dont tell me we are going for diplomacy all the way? Scs is brewing the pinoy n vietnam are unhappy with their bullying neighbour at anytime maf will one day have to be inclusive or be alienated..my sekupang
April 20, 2015 at 4:09 pm
Imo what the arabs lack is tactics and leadership. And when theres a certain person qualified enough to lead’ this man will be dismiss on grounds only known to his superior. Thats what happend to khalid ibn walid during the early days of islam and again to el shadzly in 1973.
April 20, 2015 at 11:50 am
Of course we won’t go for a war, it’s the best for us. The Arabs have more weapons and assets, so we’re cool and let us sit back and watch them do their jobs. Who are we to get involve in their dirty operations?
Even if we do join, it’s the best under the UN regardless of the nation’s choice…
April 20, 2015 at 10:25 am
Maf no need to involve in any of foreign war. Only act under UN peacekeeper/ for humanitarian aid.
It is a clear picture of how capable Saudi can handle the situation with their advance asset.
Unless Saudi cant defence themselve like those Bosnian situation.
April 20, 2015 at 9:55 am
The issue was that there was no statement made by the gov concerning the matter. And now the news is out. Hope thats answers the question.. it was highly unlikely 4 a country like malaysia to go into somebody else fight thousand of kilometres away. But still the announcement could have been made earlier..
April 20, 2015 at 12:38 am
A carefully worded statement to avoid “offending” the Saudis. A cynic might also add the Saudis don’t need our help as they spend much, much more on defence and that Saudi and UAE boys should be the ones doing the dirty work. Cynics could also add that the Saudis have gotten themselves into something that will later backfire.
Anyway, this settles it. We are not getting involved and rightly so.
Unless things have changed, the UN arms embargo announced this week applies only to the Houthis. The Russian Defence Minister pointed out that it should apply to all the warring sides. No doubt the Saudis will want to replenish theirs stocks of ordnance and some companies will be happy. War is good business.